Back to overview

Port of Amsterdam to have coffee grounds recycling plant

Prodock, the innovation hub in the port of Amsterdam, has a new acquisition: Caffe Inc. At this location, the company will start building a new recycling plant for coffee grounds. The brown residual product will be recycled into coffee oil.

1

Coffee oil is used in personal care products and coffee blocks, which are used in biobased materials. For each tonne of coffee grounds processed, Caffe Inc saves around 400 kilograms of C02. That is as much as 16 trees take up in a year.

100% circular and natural ingredients

About 1% of a coffee bean ends up in a cup of coffee. The other 99% is the coffee grounds and ends up as waste. In the Netherlands, around 250,000 tonnes of coffee grounds are produced each year. Valuable raw materials are lost through the current processing of this 'coffee waste'. It is also a lot less sustainable, because this processing process emits 8.5 million kilograms ofCO2 per year. That is why Caffe Inc is working hard to convert coffee grounds into 100% circular and natural ingredients. The high-quality oils from coffee grounds can be used in personal care products, such as face cream or a shampoo bar.

In addition, Caffe Inc makes coffee blocks from the coffee grounds. From these coffee blocks, panels and sheet material, for example, can be made. The Amsterdam Climate and Energy Fund (AKEF) is financing the construction of the new factory. AKEF was established by the municipality of Amsterdam. It finances projects that contribute to reducing the city'sCO2 emissions and have a positive impact on the environment.